Monday, January 29, 2018

My Evolving Art Process...New Inspiration...New Tools

Handy Quick Links to our Blog Highlights

The teacher in me is alive and well today...smile.

As time is not an issue these days I thought I would walk through my digital art process.  Since carrying brushes, paint, canvasses, and an easel don't fit into our travel model, I have turned to my laptop.  I have invested in an Intuos Art Pen and Tablet.  It will arrive next week when we relocate to Oaska.  In the meantime I am "old school" using a Bluetooth mouth and stylus pen.  Using my Paint.net application I am having a blast creating impressions from some of my favorite photos from the trip so far.  When I get back I will have them printed on canvas for proper framing in our new home.  When the tablet arrives it comes with a software bundle of art programs like Corel Draw and Essentials 5.  However with all the plug-ins that Dave Block alerted me to, I may simply stick with Paint.net.  Like all art and our lives...it is an evolving process.

Step One - Start with a blank canvas to which I have added a pastel background.
Step Two - I add dots of color for the sunset.

Step Three - I smudge the colored dots to spread out the color...like using a palette knife.
Step Four - I sketch in the distant mountain ridge.  Note the small trees on the ridge line.  A nice touch I think.  Then I fill in the ground with the base color.

Step Five - Add in the mountain ridges and place color.
 Step Six - Spread the color around using a palette knife.
Step Seven - Define the tree lines.
Step Eight - Bring in the foreground base color.
Step Nine - Bring in secondary base colors.
Step Ten - Build the shrubs in the foreground.
Step Eleven - Enhance the foreground.  Grasses and large leaf clustering.  Tedious, representative work but the final effect will be grand.
Step Twelve - Bring in the major trees, shrubs, and begin enhancing the perspective.
Step Thirteen - There's a rock wall of sorts....a bit overgrown.
Step Fourteen - Enhancing the trees...bringing the rocks down a bit...balancing the foreground.
Step Fifteen - Softening the mountain and tree lines.
Step Sixteen - Adding in the element I have been hiding all this time...

2 comments:

Lover of life said...

WOW...you must show me how this works. I have a ton of images...literally more than a ton actually that I would LOVE to paint and put on canvas. Not being an artist, with a bit of instruction my images could come to life.

Tom and Bobbie Lucido said...

Thanks Denise. Yes, it is certainly fun recreating some of my favorite images. I get the chance to relive the moment for hours as I am working on the piece. I have some talent and that helps...and I must admit that I get carried away by the process and often tend to forget the aesthetics. I will be happy to introduce you to paint.net and what I have learned about the sketch tablet when we are spending quality time in Nepal. To attempt any of that now would be futile as it is very involved.